Before you hand your children those sparklers this Fourth of July weekend, remember that—while sparklers and firecrackers are fun to look at—they can burn at more than 1,000°F, have the potential to set fire to clothing, and often cause injuries to both the hands and face. Children are at a greater risk of injury because of their excitement and curiosity. If you purchase sparklers for children, follow these guidelines from the National Council on Fireworks Safety:

  • Obey the local laws, and use common sense.
  • Always read and follow instructions. Always have an adult present.
  • Keep burning sparklers away from clothing and flammable objects.
  • Use sparklers only outdoors, away from buildings and vehicles.
  • Light only one sparkler at a time.
  • Alcohol, fireworks and sparklers do not mix. Be responsible.
  • Do not point or throw sparklers at another person.
  • Children under the age of 12 should not handle sparklers.
  • When finished, place used sparklers in a bucket of water.